Friday, December 18, 2015

Since I was buried and reborn in water and in the flame (Seeing the fruits of change and conversion)

 "When you see people throwing stones at the mango tree, you know they are doing so because the tree is bearing good fruit" -African proverb


Today marks the 6th year anniversary since I've joined the LDS church. Regardless of what you believe, don't believe, agree, or disagree about the church/religion I decided to become apart of, know this. I know that the Gospel has helped me help myself become a more loving, caring person. A husband, and a father when in my past I thought so low of myself that I never foresaw family. All I ever saw for myself was loneliness, depression, and death. Regardless what you believe religion to be, I know for me that it's helped me to become more of a free thinking individual and not another drone to this hectic world. My spirituality has become deeper, and I see bigger connections with others, their beliefs, and their traditions. I as well as discover what my convictions really are made of, that I have potential, and that every day I see more of my own worth.

I never wanted to become or thought I would ever be LDS, let alone want anything in addition my spirituality. I know this is the path that God wants me on; this journey has not been easy. Some may ask, "has it been worth it?" Honestly it depends on the day, but no matter what I feel or is going on in my life, I know it's what I am supposed to be doing. I am thankful for my friends for standing by me and keeping me safe in times of self destruction. I am thankful for those who choose to help me through self discovery and this expanded view of what we are all apart of. I am thankful for the example of my parents, even though they may not "perfect"; they've sure been bigger examples of what a real follower of Christ is supposed to be then most "Good Christians" talk about being. For me, embracing the Gospel has made me into a whole new man. I see this when I compare myself to who I was when I first started this journey 7 years ago after waking up from a week long hangover from alcohol poisoning. Who knew that the one of my worst experiences would become the catalyst to the start of one of my greatest journeys? Which ever God you believe or don't believe in, I know in the end, they are all the same God, just with different names and this God, OUR God knew, He knew what what happen, and knew what I could become when I knew not. That is why this day is always so important to me.

I hope that whoever may read this may already know who you really are, what your potential and worth are to yourself; those you love, and those you may not realize need you. If you do not,  I know you can; it may take effort and sacrifice. It will probably take more patience then you think you have, but know that if you really open your mind and heart, you will see it, know it, and feel it one day.



Just like my first hike up Malan's Peek, changing my life and embracing the Gospel has been a long hard journey that has been worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment