Friday, December 18, 2015

Nauvoo "The City Beautiful"

"When Joseph Smith stood on this hill after his escape from Missouri in 1839, the spot was wooded and trackless and swamps covered the lowlands behind him. But he could see the glistening river with its islands lying to the north like lush garden places, and the green Iowa hills beyond. ‘It is a beautiful site,’ he said fervently, ‘and it shall be called Nauvoo, which means in Hebrew a beautiful plantation.’ “Nauvoo” had the melancholy music of a mourning dove’s call and somehow matched the magic of the site.” 




One of the most rich, long lasting, and intense spiritual experiences I've had in my life thus far came from a trip I was blessed to be a part of to not only a historical site; but a place of very deep spiritual significance for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and the Community of Christ.

For those that don't know what Nauvoo is; it's a city in Illinois on the banks of the Mississippi that the Mormons moved to in order to escape the "Mormon Extinction Order" made into law in Missouri  after months of harassment, rape, murder, among other things they endured over and over again while there. Nauvoo at first was really nothing but a swamp until the Mormons drained the swamp, many becoming sick and dying of disease at the time. After the swamp was drained, they turned it into one of the biggest, most beautiful cities east of the Mississippi. Mormons and non Mormons alike lived and thrived there making it the second largest city in the state until the Mormons moved west. This whole cities history and the LDS Church's history at the time are all too very interesting and I could go on forever; I would challenge you all to look into it and study when you have time. Now with that Challenged issued, I would like to talk about my trip and experience there.


I went to Nauvoo from July 21st-July 24th with my Young Single Adult Ward I was attending at the time with a big debt of gratitude to the Bishop who made all of it happen. For me at least, this was my Mormon version of a "Pilgrimage of Mecca". I don't say that to cheapen either experience so let me explain. At the time I was very insecure as well that I was suffering from a long and deep bout of depression and anxiety because of a broken heart I was trying my best to heal from. I also at that time in my life and for a long time before, I had issues being away from my comfort zone (my home/room), so even though it wasn't that far from home, it seemed like a world away in my mind. These feeling where made so very worse after a long night of tossing and turning, plane hopping from Utah, to Las Vegas, to Arizona, and finally to Missouri. From there we took a three plus hour bus ride and finally got to our hotel. I was so burned out I couldn't eat even though I hadn't eaten since early that morning and even though I was scared to death, my nerves fried and on high alert, I was excited there was an abundance of the Spirit there.

Spending time gambling while waiting for our flight our of Vegas


Our first real day there was all of the normal stuff that all the LDS tourists do when they go; check out the museum the LDS church has there and all of the area that the LDS owns (half is owned by them and half is owned by the CoC). There was some really cool places to visit like the Browning home, yes John Browning of Browning Arms was Mormon and his Nauvoo house has lots of really cool guns. The most memorable experience I had there though was the Lucy Mack Smith house. As you may or may not know, the church as senior missionaries (missionaries who serve in the twilight years). Sometimes these senior missionaries get called to Nauvoo to play the part of different people and otherwise serve as guides. Sister Reber was assigned to the Lucy Mack Smith house and had an incredible experience. She was serving her mission alone because her husband died and has degenerative arthritis that made it hard to move around the house. So did Lucky Mack Smith and Lucky too was a widow among other things that they both shared. Her spirit really shinned when she bore her testimony and I will always remember just how deep it felt. That night we went to the Navuoo Pagent, it was a great performance, though what I remember most is the feeling of peace and happiness I had along with watching the fireflies buzz around in the darkness. One other thing about that day really left a strong impression on me. I was in the John Taylor house and they show case his sons rocking horse that John made for him. I was told a story about how after the Mormons left Navuoo to head west, his son realized that his rocking horse was left behind and was devastated. John Taylor went back for it; this was extremely dangerous because by then the Anti-Mormon mobs had taken over and was occupying/destroying the city. He was able to sneak in and back out with the horse to the delight of his son. This story of love and dedication of a father to his child has helped to serve as a model of how to be now that I am a father.

The Nauvoo Temple in the Background.

Happy as a clam after getting a Genuine Nauvoo Brick

Cute little family watching the blacksmith make a little horse shoe.

John Taylor's son's rocking horse

Sister Reber

The Nauvoo Pagent





  Day two for me was just pure magic. We started the day off on the Community of Christ side of Nauvoo which has the Mansion House, the Red Brick store, among other key sites and what made it even more special is that we had a guide there that could and did give us special access to areas we normally would have never seen. From there we went and did Temple work at the Nauvoo Temple and later that afternoon I went to the Nauvoo records building; which is where you can look up your name to see if you had any relatives who lived in Nauvoo. That evening we went to the Red Brick store to have a special Testimony Meeting in the room that not only the Relief Society was formed in, but that same room is where the first Endowments where done. There are a couple of things I wish to point out from this day that I had learned.

1. Even though it's not the original Navuoo Temple, it has that same spirit to it and it's a special and different spirit then any other Temple I have been in. I believe this is from all the work and sacrifice that was made for the Temple. it's something you can feel everywhere because the remains of the first Temple that didn't burn down where used in the houses of the surrounding area.

2. I am not the first member in my family that was LDS, I had a relative who was a member and not only lived in Nauvoo, but also lived right next to a relative of  close friend of mine. The Lord promises that if you're faithful but your family doesn't keep the faith, that latter down the road your family will come back to the Gospel. I know I am a fulfillment of that promise and the ties I have with my friend go further then we know.

3. When I bore my Testimony at the Redbrick store I knew then just how special the spirit of Nauvoo is, it's the same spirit that Joseph Smith had. They call Nauvoo the "City of Joseph" when really is should be called the "City that Joseph served". His office on the second floor is as big as my downstairs bathroom and only had a desk and a twin sized cot for when he was too tired to walk him. This is office that also served as Church Headquarters and City Hall when he was mayor.

A statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith as they ride off to their end.

Me after getting done working in the Temple.

The room where the first Endowments where done and the Relief Society was formed. We held a Testimony meeting here

Welcome To Joseph Smith's Office

Bishop Russell and I, the man that made this all possible


Day three was what we celebrate in Utah as Pioneer day; it was a very somber start to the day as our second to last stop was at the start of the "Trail of Hope". This is where the Saints started their long journey to Utah. The trail is dotted by signs of quotes from those on the trail, it began to rain the second we left the bus like heaven was shedding tears on behalf of those long dead and ended the second we got to the Mississippi River. I remember the whole way holding back my own tears as I felt the spirit of those who's footprints I was now following. From there we silently went to Carthage Jail, the place of martyrdom for both Joseph and Hyrum Smith. In the room where the shooting began, you can see blood stains on the floor and holes from the balls of the rifles and pistols used.



The view of the Nauvoo Temple from the Trail of Hope


The entrance to the Mississippi River from the Trail of Hope

The window that Joseph Smith Jumped out of after being shot and before being shot to death in overkill

The Room where the Martyrdom occurred. 
  I will always be thankful for that beautifully flawed man known as Joseph Smith Jr. and all that helped to accomplish to restore the Lords church in it's fullness back to the earth. Love him or hate him, Prophet or con-man, he was brilliant, strong, and died for what he believed and knew was right and I know that he would never have accomplished any of this if not for the backing of our Lord and God!

When we got back to Utah, it was in time to watch fireworks go off in multiple cities for Pioneer's day while descending in the plane; I remember knowing that I had left a piece of myself in Nauvoo, and Nauvoo let me have a piece of her to replace it. It is a special place and will now and forever, always have a special place in my heart and soul and I am thankful for all those who sacrificed and worked so hard to show what heaven on earth can be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment