Saturday, May 28, 2016

Seeing Through Spiritual Lenses

            I have such a hard time looking at life through a spiritual lens. I believe this to be my biggest millstone in life because looking at my life through strictly natural lenses us extremely depressing. When I am not looking at life through a spiritual lens I tend to look at the worst case scenario in my trials and tribulations making them un-bearable.

            One perfect example is when my mom died because all I did was lament on her death instead of rejoicing her transition from this life to the next, from her constant pain and suffering to having a chance to reconnect with her-self and prepare for the resurrection. Instead I questioned were her spirit went and what is after this life. Instead of feeling for her spiritual presence, I was too wrapped up in her physical absence.

When I first joined the church I was able to see everything through a spiritual lens and I was able to handle even the worst moments in my life better, seeing a higher purpose then seeing it through just my own eyes which would have me believe that “stuff happens”. I honestly have no idea when I lost the ability, when I stopped using that lens, never really thought about it until today. Now I know what has been lacking and what I’ve needed in my life to help me.

Today is the day that I make a conscious effort to pick up and put on the spiritual lens I need in order to survive this life and see if for what it really is, a time of testing, refining, seeking, learning, growing, and serving. Today is the day I start looking beyond and into the enternal.

“O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God, and also the awfulness of yielding to the enticings of that cunning one. Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal.” -2nd Nephi 9:39

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. -Romans 8:5-6

To the faithful, spirituality is a lens through which we view life and a gauge by which we evaluate it. The Apostle Paul expressed this thought in two of his letters:
“We look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Cor. 4:18.)
“For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
“For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.” (Rom. 8:5–6.)
To be spiritually minded is to view and evaluate our experiences in terms of the enlarged perspective of eternity.
Each of us has a personal lens through which we view the world. Our lens gives its special tint to all we see. It can suppress some features and emphasize others. It can also reveal things otherwise invisible. Through the lens of spirituality, we can know “the things of God” by “the Spirit of God.” (1 Cor. 2:11.) As the Apostle Paul taught, such things are “foolishness” to the “natural man.” He cannot see them “because they are spiritually discerned.” (See 1 Cor. 2:14.)
How we interpret our experiences is also a function of our degree of spirituality. Some interpret mortality solely in terms of worldly accomplishments and possessions. In contrast, we who have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ should interpret our experiences in terms of our knowledge of the purpose of life, the mission of our Savior, and the eternal destiny of the children of God. -Spirituality Dallin H. Oaks


No comments:

Post a Comment