Saturday, May 14, 2016

"...and he loved her"


July 16th marks the fifth year anniversary of my marriage and I am extremely grateful for these last five years. We have been through so much in the last five years, learned so much as well. During this time we have been able to strike out on our own having purchased our first (and current) home, as well as giving birth to two beautiful little girls who make this house a real home. We’ve been through the death of a parent, and other tragic or stress filled scenarios in our time together so I am confident to say that we have been through our fair share of good and bad but yet I feel like I lack in our marriage in a very important way.

            My wife knows that I love her; she at least tells me that she believes me when I tell her that I do and yet she has informed time and time again that she does not feel like I consider her a priority in my life. Subsequently my wife has cultivated feelings of insecurity, depression, is constantly tired, and never feels like she gets anything done. I know I am dense, however I didn’t know just how dense I was until today looking at comments on a thread I started in one of my classes where one in particular stood out in conjunction with Genesis 24:67:

I dreamed all night last night this part of this scripture: " and he loved her". This touched me in so many ways. Isaac loved Rebekah. I want to say in a physical way and in a spiritual way. As a woman it is important for a husband to "love" her.
This discussion is about the role of women and what they can do as women. I would venture to say that a woman can do more when she is loved by her husband. A woman can serve and work and give and do until she drops if she knows she is supported and loved.
Rebekah was loved. Isaac loved her. She, in return, loved him. That is how it is supposed to be. She was able to do what was asked of her and Isaac was able to fulfill his purpose because they had each other. I believe we, as husbands and wives, have the same responsibility to strengthen and lift our spouse...because in the end, it strengthens both.


            This comment really got me thinking about my role as her husband and if I am really pulling my emotional, spiritual, and physical weight. Just because I think what I am doing is sufficient does not mean it is. I think this example of Rebekah and Isaac should motivate all of us husbands into action to ensure that we are not merely loving our wives, but that we are ensuring that they know that they are loved, and support them for all they do for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment